Costa Rica Dreaming

March 2, 2012 by admin

Years ago, pre-duo, the hubby and I went to Costa Rica and I fell instantly in love.

A country that embraces coffee.

And animals.  Alligators in the swamps and monkeys swinging from the trees.

Chiquita Bananas. (And rhinoceros beetles that like to cling to them.)

Hammocks to lounge in and read.

And now I’ve learned there is a sloth sanctuary.  (Of course this tranquil heavenly place has a sloth sanctuary.)

I didn’t even mind the teeny-tiny airplanes, the poisonous snakes, (I still believe we encountered one on a hike.  The hubby still believes it was the “non-threatening” kind.) the scary you might boil yourself signs near all the hot-springs by the volcano, or those dangle yourself by a rope and swing over big canyon adventures.  (Yes, I did this too.  Not a fan.  But did it, nonetheless.)

I want to go back.  I can’t stop dreaming about going back.  But how do I bring the kids too?

(This post is part of a weekly linkup on Deliciousbaby.  Check there to see some fantastic travel photos from around the world and please comment below if you have any idea on how to take two almost 4-year olds on an animal adventure to Costa Rica.  Thank you.)

1. Costa Rica is definitely on our list for a family vacation–it has everything zip lines, rafting, volcanoes , tree houses, jungles, surfing… I think once kids hit about 8 years old they will be begging you to take them!

2. Lisa says:

Costa Rica is one of the places that we would love to go with our kids too. I have friends that have traveled there with kids a little older than yours (I think the youngest was 6 or 7 at the time) and had a great time. It would be a very different trip than the one you did pre-kids but still doable, I’m sure. I’d start by looking at some of the tour companies and see what types of itineraries they have for family trips. Even if you don’t want go on a group tour it would give you some ideas about family-friendly accommodations and activities. Have fun planning and dreaming!!

• eckids says:

Thanks so much for your advice, I’m going to look into tours. If you hear of any great ones please let me know. I think we also may wait a couple years after hearing everyone say we should wait. I forgot about drive times.

3. Jessica says:

Costa Rica is on the list here too! It looks like such a great place!

4. Sonja Key says:

Hmmm . . . rhinoceros beetles and poisonous snakes? Not so fun. But I really do want to see monkeys in the wild. Sounds way cool.

5. It looks like Costa Rica is a fave family travel wishlist here – ours too. It seems so perfect for outdoor fun and for animal lovers. We’ve wanted to go for so long and keep postponing it. We’ve even picked our treehouse near Arenal =) How lucky you got to enjoy all of this.

Friends have told us to wait until our kids were a bit older especially with the long drive in between places. My youngest will be 7 soon so hopefully next year. I’ve seen quite a few family travel blogs with some great CR tips. I’ve looked at this site: for some ideas. Good luck with your plans!

• eckids says:

Thanks so much for the site idea. I’d love to hear about the treehouse-I love cool hotels. I hear a lot about waiting and I think I may have to take that to heart. I guess the world is big and there are lots of places to go, but Costa Rica is SO beautiful…..

6. Anwar says:

Costa Rica is on my list of places to go! Love the photos. I love the alligator photo especially.

7. […]  When I first started  my “I want to visit Costa Rica” trip campaign to the hubby I reminded him of how wonderful a time we had when we went pre-kids and I told him that it would be good for the boys to see […]