November 30, 2012 by admin
I know people have been blogging something they’re thankful for every day for the past month. I’m more of a do it in a one whole big sha-bang kind of girl. So here’s my almost-thirty:
1. Birthday Dreams. November is my birthday month so when I found this organization that brings birthday parties to homeless children in the Seattle-area I was so excited. The other night I baked twenty cupcakes for a Madagascar-themed party and it felt so fulfilling that someone might have a better day because of something I helped make. And the boys helped me get the supplies and I thought it’s a cool way to get them thinking about other people too. If you have party supplies or can bake or just love parties and want to help out, I totally suggest you check this place out.
2. The whole recipe database I can find on my computer via the interwebs. This month I found two awesome salads: an arugala, potato and bean salad from Smitten Kitchen and a farro cranberry salad that made me look like I was a cooking genius.
3. I gave Amazon Fresh another try this month and I’ve loved it. I’ve been ordering Gretchen‘s sandwiches, A la mode pies, Samurai Ramen and my favorite tea from Delaurenti and it just shows up at my door. My neighbor has been raving about La Spiga too and so I tried their flatbread sandwich and panna cotta from Amazon Fresh and it was delicious!
4. Walking to school. As long as it doesn’t rain, we’ve walked to school and it’s so nice to get that extra little bit of exercise in. It even helps me go for a run when I don’t really want to.
5. Farm School. If you have a kid who loves animals you need to get them to the farm. The classes are awesome and Farmer Jayne is amazing.
6. Helmets. I love you. I would put you on my kids all the time if I could.
7. Iceland, or more specifically puffins. I’m trying to convince the hubby we need to go to Iceland. Any support you can add for this cause would be greatly appreciated.
8. Sloth videos. I seriously can’t get enough of my animal friends from Costa Rica.
9. My hubby’s patience. I almost set the house on fire the other day because I cooked a trivet by accident. He smelled the burning trivet, peeked in the oven and told me that I probably should take that out if I wasn’t intending to cook it.
10. This is a ditto for the number above. After swimming I threw all the swimming stuff in the washer/dryer. I didn’t realize that included a bottle of the kids’ shampoo. Ooops.
11. The boys of course. Every day. I can’t be thankful enough. (And they do such funny things! This is a pumpkin train. With real pumpkins!)
12. Tom Douglas’ pumpkin pie recipe. This baby is awesome.
13. Gifts that give back. I’m totally excited about this scarf company I found out about that gives sustainable business to women in Africa. The stories just give me chills and as an avid consumer, it’s making me think about how I shop and for that I’m truly thankful. (Thank you CoolMomPicks!)
14. Passports with Purpose. It’s a blogging fundraiser by travel bloggers that gives to different organizations ever year: this year’s cause is Water.org. For 10 dollars you give a donation and have a chance of winning very cool prizes. Let’s just say it has way better odds than the Powerball and you can feel so much better knowing how much your contribution helps out.
15. Puppies. Specifically one named Jonathan. I’m going to be a dog-aunt to a beautiful brown and white spotted dog. I adore him already.
17. Family and Friends. We’ll pretend I name you all here and I know that will get me to thirty. I love you all so much and I’m so lucky for you this month and always.
Good Bye November, til Next Year. Anyone still need an advent calendar? (This one is printable and free!)